November 29, 2023 | Amy M. Mayhew, MD, MPH
This presentation will investigate cannabis use among adolescents and the associated risk factors for developing psychotic symptoms or a psychotic illness during adolescence. We will explore the impact of high-potency THC, the common perception of these substances as ‘natural’ and harmless, as well as the dose-dependent relationship between THC use and the development of psychosis.
- Evaluate some data about current substance use among adolescents
- Recognize some of the processes that THC and CBD influence natural cannabinoid receptors in the body
- Explore one theory of how THC may create a predisposition to psychosis
- Examine how tobacco and cannabis industries are influencing adolescent behaviors
- Analyze some case examples of cannabis use and development of psychosis and psychotic illness